Safety is of the utmost importance to us at Ocean Quests Skelligs Tours.
Below you will find links to safety procedures set out by the O.P.W. (Office of Public Works). These procedures will help you to experience the Skellig Islands safely. Accompanying these pamphlets is also a safety video which outlines best practices when ascending and descending the steps of Skellig Michael.
Note: Full instructions will be given to all passengers before the boat departs for the Skellig Islands.
All passenger boats travelling to the Skellig Islands are required to carry Positive Buoyancy/Abandon Ship lifejackets. These lifejackets are worn in the event of an emergency. It is not required that they be worn during the sailing.
In the unlikely event that you have to enter the water please listen to the crew’s instructions.
DONNING THE LIFEJACKET
- Take the lifejacket and place it over your head.
- Adjust the waist strap to fit accordingly.
- Click the buckles into place.
- Check that your lifejacket is fastened securely.
ENTERING THE WATER
- Place one hand on the chest of the jacket – this prevents the jacket from moving up and hitting you in the face.
- Place the second hand over your nose and mouth – this avoids you swallowing water.
IN THE WATER
- These lifejackets do not require any inflation.
- The lifejackets will not absorb water and when worn correctly will keep the user afloat indefinitely.
- They will float you face up in the water.
- Stay calm.
- Join other passengers in a circle – this prevents people from drifting off in different directions.
- Do not attempt to swim in the lifejacket unless to reach the liferaft.
Your safety is our priority – please adhere to these guidelines.